Many organisations and institutions deal with disaster prevention and management and contribute to the debate about building greater resilience and safer communities.
State Emergency Services provides essential services during and after natural disasters and assists in building resilience to natural disasters in Australian communities.
Emergency management is a function of the Attorney General’s department and supports Australian States and Territories in their efforts to protect life, property and the environment.
See more on the Government's Emergency Services website.
The Australian Government provides disaster assistance to help eligible individuals and communities recover from a major disaster. The Disaster Assist website outlines available assistance for current disasters.
The NSW Small Business Commissioner has developed a range of resources to help small business owners recover from disasters, including: Get Back to Business - A guide to recovering from a disaster.
OrganisationalResilience.gov.au, maintained by Department of Home Affairs, hosts resources for businesses to adapt, evolve and respond to different crises.
Queensland Reconstruction Authority hosts the Resilient Queensland Story Map to show how communities across the state are strengthening their disaster resilience.
The Australian Red Cross offers relief in times of crisis and care when it's needed most. The Red Cross has a suite of emergency preparedness resources including Rediplan and Get Prepared (link to page on ABR website) which helps individuals to be better prepared for emergencies. Further Information on disaster preparedness and more resources about disasters are on the Red Cross website.
The Salvation Army is an international movement that meets human needs without discrimination. The Salvation Army gives support after floods and bushfires in Australia. It has produced a film and website, Still Standing After A Natural Disaster, which provides expert information about long term recovery from natural disasters.
The Australian Institute for Disaster Resilience develops, maintains and shares knowledge and learning to support a disaster resilient Australia.
Disaster Resilience education for schools is toolkit for teachers and students of disaster resilience, focused on developing a shared understanding of the critical role all Australians play in developing disaster resilience.
RMIT Centre for Risk and Community Safety researches safe, resilient communities through continuous improvement in emergency management.
The Australian Security Research Centre is a think tank on domestic security and disasters and looks at both traditional and evolving security and disaster issues.
The Flinders University Disaster Research Centre is a leader in disaster and emergency research in the region.
Coast Adapt is a project of the National Climate Change Adaptation Research facility that provides information, guidance and support on coastal adaptation for everyone, including households, infrastructure operators, small to large businesses and government at all levels.
Businesses are a vital part in developing more resilient and safer communities. The Roundtable promotes greater resolve among businesses to foster better preparedness in their communities. Below are some industry and research groups that take a proactive stance and provide resources on this issue.
- The Insurance Council of Australia represents the general insurance industry in Australia.
- The Property Council of Australia advocates for Australia’s $600 billion property industry. Its members include most of the nation’s major investors, property owners and developers.
- The CEOs of 100 of Australia's leading corporations are members of the Business Council of Australia. The council is a forum for business leaders to debate public policy and make Australia the best place to live, learn, work and do business.
- The Australian Building Codes Board addresses safety, health, amenity and sustainability in the design and performance of buildings through the National Construction Code Series. It develops effective regulatory and non-regulatory solutions.
- The Planning Institute of Australia is the national body representing planning and the planning profession. Through education, communication and professional development, it serves and guides thousands of planning professionals in their role of creating better communities.
- The Australian Bankers’ Association provides analysis, advice and advocacy and contributes to the development of public policy on banking and other financial services.
- The Australian Sustainable Built Environment Council (ASBEC) is committed to developing a practical and sustainable agenda for the Australian planning, property and the construction industry.
- EarthCheck is an international tourism advisory firm which helps deliver safe, healthy and prosperous travel destinations.
- The $130 million Bushfire and Natural Hazards Cooperative Research Centre draws together all of Australia and New Zealand's fire and emergency service authorities with the leading experts across a range of scientific fields to explore the causes, consequences and mitigation of natural disasters.
- Floodplain Management Australia (FMA) is committed to promoting appropriate development within floodplain areas, and helping reduce the risks of flooding to life and property.
- The Cyclone Testing Station (CTS) is the pre-eminent independent authority on the performance of buildings in severe wind events. CTS is located at James Cook University in Townsville and focuses primarily on the performance of houses and other low rise buildings in Australia and the surrounding region. Activities include investigations after wind events as well as research, testing and community education, aimed at ensuring that buildings designed to resist severe wind events are safe, economical and sustainable.
- The National Climate Change Adaptation Research Facility (NCCARF) worked to support decision makers throughout Australia as they prepare for and manage the risks of climate change and sea-level rise.
- The Australian Coastal Councils Association is a national body representing the interests of coastal councils and communities experiencing rapid growth and development.