The members of the Australian Business Roundtable for Disaster Resilience and Safer Communities are the most senior executive or a non-executive director of Australian Red Cross, IAG, Munich Re, Optus and Westpac Group.
The purpose of the Australian Business Roundtable for Disaster Resilience & Safer Communities is to make Australian communities safer by improving disaster resilience and climate change preparedness.
We do this by expanding knowledge, collaborating and leading by example to help influence decisions made by governments, businesses and communities.
The Roundtable focuses efforts across three areas:
Partnering with governments
- We bring an industry perspective in support of the effective development, governance and implementation of the National Disaster Risk Reduction Framework. More broadly, we challenge and work with all levels of government to better protect Australian communities, particularly in light of climate change.
Business action and leadership
- As well as demonstrating leadership through our own commitments and actions, we support all businesses to better understand and take steps to improve their own resilience, directly improving the resilience of their employees, customers, supply chain and communities.
More resilient built environment for safer communities
- We seek to ensure that infrastructure is located and developed in a way that prioritises the future prosperity and safety of communities.
How we deliver
Leverage the members and Secretariat to:
- Advocate and influence to advance our purpose;
- Provide a common voice of business on disaster risk reduction, resilience and climate change preparedness;
- Share our knowledge to raise awareness, inform policy-making and improve decision-making;
- Connect Australia to local, regional and international thinking and developments;
- Act as a catalyst, coordinator and enabler of cross-sectoral discussions and collaboration.
Expand the knowledge base by undertaking initiatives that:
- Deliver against one or more of the Roundtable focus areas;
- Presents an opportunity for the Roundtable to make a unique contribution;
- Is best delivered by the collaboration of members;
- Can create impact at scale;
- Receives an allocation of funding from the Roundtable budget; and
- Is supported with resources including CEO Committee, Liaison Group and Secretariat time.